Python's 8-bit cleanness deprecated?

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Mon Feb 3 13:33:00 EST 2003

I've tryed vesrion 2.3a of Python and have been surprised by the following
warning:

1.py:6: DeprecationWarning: Non-ASCII character '\xf7', but no declared
encoding

Does it mean, that all that Python software which is not in ASCII will each
time give such warning? (Thus probably filling up web-server logs or just
surprising users (like Perl/C libs do when they don't know current locale).

I think it's madness... There must be other ways to deal with it. I could
agree that for correct operation IDLE is demanding correct encoding setting
(and nonetheless workis incorrectly!), but plain scripts should be
8-bit clean, without any conditions! (Luckily, it's alpha version, so
nothing really changed yet.)

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
rnd at onego.ru =\= My AI powered by Linux RedHat 7.3