[Python-Dev] PEP 308: "then" "else" for deprecating "and" "or" side effects

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Fri Feb 14 07:10:06 EST 2003

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Christian Tismer wrote:
>>> You are forgetting a detail here: "and" as well as "or"
>>> are not implemented as operators. "&" and "|" are the
>>> boolean operators and these do return boolean values.
>> Na, aber!
>> You are confusing bitwise orerations which booleans.
> Sorry, I meant "&&" and "||".

Argh, and that's C syntax. Should've had more coffee today.

>> Hey, did you realize what my message is about?
>> I am talking of a better alternative, not
>> "and" and "or".
>
> Sure. I was argueing against adding more inlining
> tricks.

This remains valid, though.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 14 2003)
Python UK 2003, Oxford:                                     46 days left
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                       130 days left