Case sensitivity

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Feb 18 17:38:12 EST 2003

Lexy Zhitenev wrote:

> I prefer case-sensitiveness. Even in case-insensitive languages
> (Object
> Pascal) I write identifiers in the same way they have been declared.

Agreed.  It simply does not seem useful to be able to distinguish
between different cases (i.e., allow the use of both uppercase and
lowercase letters in identifiers) unless that distinction _means_
something.  Which leads one to the conclusion that case sensitivity is
the only logical way to go.

I don't have any strong objection to warning against (perhaps a
PyChecker warning would be sufficient) against identifiers with name
differing only in case in the same namespace, since there very rarely is
a good reason do that.

/  \ The multitude of books is making us ignorant.
\__/ Voltaire
    CatCam / http://www.catcam.com/
 What do your pets do all day while you're at work?  Find out.