Tutorial on how to use Emacs to program Python

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sun Feb 16 13:59:22 EST 2003

Peter Wu wrote:

> I installed Python 2.2.2 on FreeBSD and want to use Emacs as programming
> editor. I'd like to know whether there is any article or tutorial that
> shows me how to do programming in Emacs from A to Z. (I'm new to
> Python). Thank you!

The question is whether you're new to Emacs.

If so, start with the Emacs tutorial.  When you first start Emacs, type
C-h C-t  (that's hold control and press h, then hold control and press t)

If not, then open a Python file.  Make sure the status bar says (Python).
That is, make sure that you are in Python mode.  Then type
C-h m

That's the standard for getting help on the current editing mode in Emacs.

Regards,
---Tom