PEP-308 a "simplicity-first" alternative

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Feb 12 10:19:25 EST 2003

"Erik Max Francis" <max at alcyone.com> wrote in message
news:3E49CA83.8C3B8A28 at alcyone.com...
> Terry Reedy wrote:
>
> > "Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
> > news:7xr8aenyj1.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...
> >
> > > I intensely dislike "x and y else z".  "Explicit is better than
> > > implicit" to me specifically means avoiding this type of cutesy
> > > overloading.
> >
> > Do you intensely dislike it more or less than the current idiom "x
and
> > y or z"?
>
> We can't vote that one down,

Yes and no.  You can, in effect, vote it down by voting for a
replacement that current users of the idiom will switch to.

> so whether he likes it more or less than a
> broken idiom some people use anyway is really beside the point.

On the contrary, as Paul also said in his response, the question is
whether to replace the current idiom or let it stand.  So preference
between the status quo and a proposed new situation is exactly to the
point.  A choice between the two is exactly what people will be voting
on.

Terry J. Reedy