OT: Ultimate Language Syntax Cleanness Comparison

Jeremy Fincher tweedgeezer at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 10 22:48:34 EST 2003

holger krekel <pyth at devel.trillke.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.1044895117.5567.python-list at python.org>...

> That sharp distinction is still a claim.  Pointing to some files
> doesn't prove your point but example code does.

Yes, it does.  Those two files *prove* that the data structure Perl is
parsed into is different than the data structure Perl is executed
from.  QED.

>   In python i do
>  Module(None, Stmt([Printnl([Const('hello world')], None)]))
>  <code object <module> at 0x828a720, file "test.py", line 2>
>  hello world

I know what you'd do in Python.  I'm a Python coder, not a Perl coder.

> Can you show me the equivalent of this in perl *in real code*?
> Even just the parsing step?  Or is it to painful to actually do it?

perldoc B::Bytecode.  It's rather impossible to remain unconvinced
after reading that.  But in case you are, look specifically at the
bottom of the documentation, which shows how to compile a Perl script
to bytecode and/or to some form of Perl assembly (whatever that is).

Anyway, I *seriously* hope you accept that as proof.  I don't like
writing Perl code or using Perl APIs that I'll never again need.

Jeremy