Python's 8-bit cleanness deprecated?

Francois Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Feb 3 22:32:04 EST 2003

[Brian Quinlan]

> How many total source files do you have that have non-ASCII characters
> in them?

It depends on the nationality and habits of the programmer.  In my
own case, most of my Python files have plenty of non-ASCII characters,
either in comments or strings, and hopefully one of these days, in Python
identifiers as well, there is a misery in using bad French for them...

And even for those Python files I write in English for being available
to a wider community, there is usually my name somewhere in the source,
including a cedilla.  And that cedilla is worth the `coding' clause!

I'm pretty sure there are still many people outside United States :-)