Dale Strickland-Clark dale at riverhall.NOTHANKS.co.uk
Sat Feb 8 13:51:51 EST 2003

Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> wrote:

>> Will people grow up about this? How hard is it to understand a bit of
>> computer code?
>
>I'm sorry to descend to this, really I am. I don't like personal attacks,
>but, really, christ... Do you actually program for a living? With other
>people? Do you have to read other people's code? Or are you so uber-elite
>that this is never a problem for you?
>
>Anthony

I am part of a team of very productive programmers who write a lot of
Python (and a few other languages). Our key systems are 95% Python.

If a programmer threw a tantrum every time he came upon a construct he
didn't understand, we'd never get anything done. You figure it out and
get on. But we're lucky, we have access to the Internet. We can find
solutions to most things there. Some problems even require effort but
we manage.

We take great pride in our code and there is a lot of peer code
review. If your code doesn't stand-up (is ugly, awkward, poorly
commented or buggy) you get chastised mercilessly.

--
Dale Strickland-Clark
Riverhall Systems Ltd