comprehensions was Re: Switch statements again

Ville Vainio vvainio at
Mon Jan 20 10:11:23 CET 2003

Tim Peters < at> wrote in message news:<mailman.1042817433.6322.python-list at>...

> At the time, lexical nesting didn't yet exist in Python either.  The case
> for "magically local" bindings has gotten stronger since lexical nesting was
> added, but now we've got a backwards compatibility burden too.

Backwards compatibility would be less of a burden if it was flagged as
"possibly unsupported in the future" in the documentation. At least it
would do a bit to alleviate the embarrassment felt when explaining the
feature to colleagues, 5 minutes after touting how well designed
python is ;-).