Commercial IDEs: is it worth it?

Gillou nospam at bigfoot.com
Wed Jan 22 08:26:10 EST 2003

"Thomas Weholt" <2002 at weholt.org> a écrit dans le message de news:
4ZuX9.13933$CG6.239986 at news4.e.nsc.no...
> Hi,
>
> I've used Emacs for python-development and been happy so far. But I miss
> auto-completion, integrated, more visual debugging etc. I also have som

Auto completion -> Alt+/

> problems with code developed earlier on windows using PythonWin and tab as
> indention instead of spaces. Some way of removing the extra
> linefeed-characters added under windows, converting tabs to spaces etc.

There are tools in the standard distro to "spacify" tab indented python
code, and changing the end of line from/to Windows/Unix.
Can't understand cause I can edit and run python script coming from Windows
without any problem.

> would also be nice. PythonWin has a feature that can be helpful in these
> cases; it can show indention-markers. In the future I'll probably develop
> som GUI-based applications too, using for instance wxPython. Emacs doesn't
> have any special support for this as far as I know.

You can have a look to the latest Boa-constructor (search from www.sf.net)
that is a Python IDE with wxPython GUI tool and Zope support.

> I was wondering; are there any commercial IDEs out there that really beats
> Emacs? Looked at WingIDE and it looks nice, but $149 for the standard
> version??!!!

Make your own opinion with the time you think you'll win with a commercial
IDE against a free IDE like PythonWin.
To my opinion, only a project manager are missing to PythonWin and Idle fork
to make a "perfect" IDE.

--Gilles