Please Recommend a C compiler for use with Python.

zenguyuno at zenguyuno at
Mon Jan 27 18:57:20 CET 2003

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Skip Montanaro wrote:
> >     z> I use a generic PC running Win 98.  What's a good, Easy-to-use and
> >     z> install, ANSI C compiler?  I might mention that I mainly want to
> >     z> extend Python by writing routines in C.
> >
> > You might try Cygwin.
> I'm not so sure that this is a good choice when it comes to extending
> Python. If the standard Python distribution is to be extended, you
> really should use MSVC 6 (if you can still get copies of that).

Cygwin requires knowing Unix, right?  I don't know much Unix.
I do want to extend the standard Python distribution for Windows.

Thanks for the advice.

"The ad hominem argument is usually true." - Timin