CGIHTTPServer and POST with Netscape versus IE

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Tue Jan 7 00:27:08 EST 2003

Well I was going to say this is fixed in the Python 2.3a1 release because I
thought Steve Holden had committed a fix, but I just checked the
CGIHTTPServer.py file and it doesn't appear to have changed, so maybe he'll
chime in here.

The PythonCard webserver sample contains a fix for the run_cgi() method of
CGIHTTPRequestHandler; it may be different than what Steve was going to
patch with but it seems to work fine. Here are the two code fragments, one
for the Unix section and the second one for the Windows section. The basic
idea is to just throw away bytes paste the content-length but not block
while doing so.
            if pid != 0:
                # Parent
                pid, sts = os.waitpid(pid, 0)
                # throw away additional data [see bug #427345]
                while select.select([self.rfile], [], [], 0)[0]:
                    waste = self.rfile.read(1)
                if sts:
                    self.log_error("CGI script exit status %#x", sts)
                return
            # Child

            if self.command.lower() == "post" and nbytes > 0:
                data = self.rfile.read(nbytes)
                fi.write(data)
                # KEA now throw away data past Content-length
                while select.select([self.rfile._sock], [], [], 0)[0] != []:
                    waste = self.rfile._sock.recv(1)

The one problem area I remember is that apparently someone added support for
Keep-Alive in BaseHTTPRequestHandler which might cause problems with the
code above. If you need a robust server, you probably shouldn't be using the
CGIHTTPServer module, but it is perfectly fine for light personal use and
testing. Since the HTTP/1.1 support in the request handler code is shallow
at best, adding Keep-Alive support was probably not a good idea.

It would probably be beneficial to look at these changes in context, in
which case you can get the 0.6.9 source

or just check out the webserver.py file in cvs

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/pythoncard/PythonCardPrototyp
e/samples/webserver/

ka
---