Distributing Python apps

Chad Netzer cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov
Sat Jan 4 21:15:05 EST 2003

On Saturday 04 January 2003 17:21, Norman Skrzypinski wrote:

> In the end, I request that you very capable Python experts give me a way to
> give my customers a 750 KB app.
>
> That's not too much to ask, I think.  It's been done, by every other major
> software company.

Well, FWIW, I think the developers are currently working on allowing packages
to be compressed (with zip, or maybe even tar+gzip).  That could help a lot.
I've never tried to compile a minimal python distribution to see how small it
can get.  Are you averse to distributing a compressed installer, if it could
be made that small?  If not, you are probably out of luck, as the goals of
the developers just do not steer in the direction of a minimizing
distribution size.  Is this for embedded work?

--
Bay Area Python Interest Group - http://www.baypiggies.net/

Chad Netzer
cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov