[win32all]: Problem With Win98

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Wed Jan 29 20:13:20 EST 2003

[Tim Daneliuk]
> The following call works fine when applied to a Win 2000 machine, but
> fails as shown when applied to a Win 98 machine.  I realize that there
> is a world of difference between older and newer Win implementations
> viz security, but I would have thought the API would hide these
> differences.

Why <wink>?  If you had searched for GetFileSecurity via google, the top hit
would have taken you to the MSDN docs for the function, and at the bottom of
the page you would have seen:

"""
Windows NT/2000/XP: Included in Windows NT 3.1 and later, Windows 2000,
    Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 family.
Windows 95/98/Me: Unsupported.
Unicode: Implemented as Unicode and ANSI versions.
Header: Declared in Winbase.h; include Windows.h.
Library: Use Advapi32.lib.
"""

> Anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be here (M: is a
> Win98 shared disk space - command was issued from a PythonWin
> session running on a Win 2000 machine):

As above, the function doesn't exist on Win9x.  You can hardcode that
knowledge, or sniff at DLLs for function existence, or decide not to support
Win9x, or just about anything else -- except for what you want.