Help compiling python on HPUX

Paul D. Lusk plusk at radford.edu
Fri Jan 24 11:27:59 EST 2003

We are using python at Radford University on HPUX, but we have encountered
a problem. When we moved the python executable from our test machine to
the production machine, we got an error message when trying use
DCOracle2:

/usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't shl_load() a library containing Thread Local
Storage:
/usr/lib/libcl.2
/usr/lib/dld.sl: Exec format error

On the test machine, we solved this by setting LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libcl.2
before running python, but this does not work on the production machine.

A Google search showed that this problem could be fixed by linking libcl.2
in when building python, but I don't know where to change the makefile to
do this. (My C and makefile knowledge is limited, although I did manage to
compile GCC 3.2 and python 2.2.2 on my Mandrake 8.2 machine).

Any help would be appreciated.