YATOPS (Yet Another Thread on Python's Speed) (was Re: HELP! Must choose language!)

Branimir Petrovic BranimirPetrovic at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 22:42:05 EST 2003

David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote in message news:<uwulcnbqy.fsf at fitlinxx.com>...
> BranimirPetrovic at yahoo.com (Branimir Petrovic) writes:
>

> By the way, if your end goal is simply directory synchronization
> (e.g., duplication across systems and/or maintaining them in sync),
> there are other alternative tools as well.  Although unrelated to
> Python, I'd definitely suggest that you take a look at rsync - it's a
> Unix derived tool, but runs fine under the Cygwin environment, so the
> rsync.exe with the cygwin1.dll is all you need under Windows.

Will give it a check for sure (just recently installed Cygwin on my
system, but didn't quite have a suitable task for it...)

Thinking about copying file structures over the network, I might
also try out Python threading: have one thread 'slurp' files on
'this end' while other thread concurrently 'spits' previously read
file/block on the 'other end' to destination system. If Python
treading did not have GIL limitation, other threads could be
'sniffing' files on both ends in the meantime figuring out which
files need updating. I am guessing that should all of that be
possible in Python - performance would not get very far off from
pure compiled (C/C++) counterpart. Performance bottleneck would
migrate from language to where it belongs - I/O only.

Interesting options anyway, lit'l something to keep me busy:-)

Branimir