__parent__ - like attribute?

Dylan Reinhardt python at dylanreinhardt.com
Sun Jan 19 00:52:00 EST 2003

At 09:00 PM 1/18/2003, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>        My understanding was that he wants changes /in/ the eggs instance to
>affect the "changed" attribute of the spam instance.

Yes, exactly.

>         To which my response is: What is
>
>c = eggs()
>c.do_stuff()
>
>supposed to be changing? The global namespace?

I don't think so... but if that gets me where I need to go, I'm all ears.  :-)

>class eggs(spam):
>         def __init__(self):
>                 spam.__init__(self)
>
>         def do_stuff(self):
>                 self.changed = 1

I doubt inheritance will do the trick here.  Spam isn't a base class, it
defines a container object.

To recap/clarify:

I have several instances of spam, each of which contains (let's say) many
thousands of instances of eggs.  I want for changes made to a single
instance of eggs to be made known to the specific instance of spam that
contains it.  Similarly, I want for any instance of eggs to be able to get
the value of any attribute of its containing spam object.

To put this more generally, I want a subobject to find its containing
object so that methods of the containing object can be called and
attributes of the containing object can be set/checked. I gather there's no
easy, pre-defined way to do this, so any namespace voodoo that can do the
trick would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Dylan