Having a __stdlib__ namespace?

Andrew Bennetts andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org
Thu Jan 9 19:56:13 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 12:15:46AM +0000, Daniel Yoo wrote:
[..snip..]
> For example:
>
> ###
> import __stdlib__.random      ## guarantees that we're using the
>                               ## standard library module to look this up
> ###

I'm not sure if this would be of any real benefit -- agree it would be nice,
but there is already so much code out there that assumes the standard
library is directly accessible.

Also, I'd simply use "stdlib" or even just "std", not "__stdlib__".  It
doesn't need to be magic, it would just be an ordinary python package.

I'd love to see something like this in Python 3, though.  <wink>

-Andrew.