idle will not start

R. C. Ellis rcellis at email.com
Sat Jan 11 15:10:59 EST 2003

Robert Hord wrote:
> I have install the RH 8.0 with python.  When I start ./idle I get an error
> "no module named ildelib".  I have done a find -name /usr idlelib with no
> results.  I also did an ./idle.py with an error "no module named Tkinter".
> I have installed the tcl/tk from the RH cd.
>
> ? Anyone know what I'm missing ?

 From what I understand from other on-line sources, RedHat chose NOT to
include Tkinter in it's python install.

In my case I downloaded the latest Python tgz file from python.org
(which includes Tkinter, supposedly) and did the configure-make-make
install, but it *Still* is unable to find the necessary files to access
Tkinter libs.  I've fiddled with all the available environment
variables, "locate"ed the Tkinter file - no luck.  I've asked the
follow-on question relating to this: to wit, "OK What do I do now?" or
"What did I miss and get wrong?"

RC