parameter/argument terminology

Beni Cherniavsky cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Mon Jan 6 14:55:44 EST 2003

On 2003-01-05, Scott David Daniels wrote:

> Next player?

I don't like the sound of "parameters", compared to "arguments".  So I
make the following logical excercise: I use "arguments" to refer to the
values passed in (both in the call and inside the function); I use
"parameters" to refer to the binding slots in the function that these
values are stored in.  Since I rarely think of the binding but usually of
the values, I get to use the favorable "arguments" (and I commonly
abbreviate them as "args").  This argument can be stretched (e.g. I say
"default arguments") so I don't actually remember when last time I used
"parameters" <wink>.

weakly-argumentedly-y'rs,