patching of python: tabs make me seek of python

Andrei Smirnov asmirnov at asmirnov.com
Tue Jan 28 14:43:17 EST 2003

hi

i'm in python project. python is very good despite some problems with threads
but still very usefull (especially with swig).
i'm using python with pleasure until i have to deal with tabs.

it is about 4 people here who's doing development. nobody cares about design
yet, we don't know what we are doing :) it's okay, we are in good shape for now.
however i found that it is extremly difficult to work with somebody else code
and repackage my own code into classes. tabs always find the way out of control.
moreover, my favorite emacs keys to locate block boundaries doesn't work, too bad.

all that make me think that somebody already has THE PATCH to treat curly braces
as old c++ programmer would expect. it could be just a cmd line switch to python.

if nobody has it someday i might try to do that. any legal objections from python
maintainers regarding of distribution of that?

please, don't try to convince me that tabs are good: i'm too lazy to even think
about it. i just want curly braces.

regards,
andrei, email: sans at clinton com