Python web development, really

Max M maxm at
Mon Jan 20 21:50:43 CET 2003

Afanasiy wrote:

> * Run on the same hardware I use currently
> * Be as fast or faster than Apache+PHP
>   (I'm sorry to say Zope/Roxen are not)
>   (This might mean it must use Apache)
> * Use a similar amount of memory
>   (ie. not Java/.NET related)

So you want the advantages of Python, but none of the trade-off's. Well
wouldn't we all?

You would have to write test for your app to test this. But they should
be roughly in the same ballpark.

> * Provide a fairly equivalent framework w/ sessions, cookies, get, post
>   (Described in
>   (eg. I should not have to write code to parse query strings, etc.)
>   (PHP is somewhat unique in the ways it can bring in post variables)

I don't know about sessions, but my guess is that there is something out
there. cookies, get and post's can be handled nicely by the cgi module.

> * Allow all errors to be caught and handled so users never see them
>   (I currently send them to an email address)
>   (Users are notified an error occurred and a developer contacted)

try/except works like a charm for this. Use it myself.

> * Allow sending of email

smtplib is your friend. Not quite as friendly as some email packages.
But together with the email module it is very powerfull

> * Allow sending of raw binary data, for restricted file downloading
>   (eg.
>   (This requires header manipulation, specifically the mime type)
>   (That sort of thing should be part of the framework 3 bullets up)

It is not quite clear what you mean here. But if you want to send a file
from your server to another webserver/form, you just use urllib/urllib2.
If you want to receive files on your server it is built into the cgi module.

> * Allow SSL secured credit card processing
>   (I currently use PHP's libcurl+ssl module)

Doesn't Apache do this?

> * Allow similarly powerful regex capabilities
>   (I currently use PHP's pcre module)

Pythons regexp's are probably as powerfull as any. Se the re module.

> * Big plus, but optional, auto prepend/append files
>   (eg. Apache+PHP has .htaccess directives like this )
>   (    php_value auto_prepend_file "_header.php"     )
>   (    php_value auto_append_file "_footer.php"      )
>   (granular down to the directory

hmmm! Don't know about this one. Python isn't embedded like that out of
the box. Should be pretty easy to write a function wich does something
like it though.

> * Finally, very optional plus, global application scoped variables
>   (PHP does NOT allow this, but I know why)
>   (I do not want to hear why you think this is bad)
>   (I know why it is good, I know why it can be bad)

Use the Borg pattern:

regards Max M

hilsen/regards Max M
Fremtiden, videnskab, skeptiscisme og transhumanisme