Commercial IDEs: is it worth it?

Thomas Weholt 2002 at weholt.org
Wed Jan 22 06:08:46 EST 2003

Hi,

I've used Emacs for python-development and been happy so far. But I miss
auto-completion, integrated, more visual debugging etc. I also have som
problems with code developed earlier on windows using PythonWin and tab as
indention instead of spaces. Some way of removing the extra
linefeed-characters added under windows, converting tabs to spaces etc.
would also be nice. PythonWin has a feature that can be helpful in these
cases; it can show indention-markers. In the future I'll probably develop
som GUI-based applications too, using for instance wxPython. Emacs doesn't
have any special support for this as far as I know.

I was wondering; are there any commercial IDEs out there that really beats
Emacs? Looked at WingIDE and it looks nice, but $149 for the standard
version??!!!

Opinions on what, where and why to pay for a Python-friendly IDE would be
appreciated.

( Opinions on other free editors that might fit my needs would also be
interesting. Looked briefly at VIM and used IDLE earlier. )

Best regards,
Thomas