Sound programming: Tone production in Python?

Joseph Blaylock blaylock at indiana.edu
Wed Jan 22 15:41:10 EST 2003

I've been searching around the 'net for information on sound programming in
Python, particularly tutorials, etc., but the outlook appears to be pretty
bleak.  There's a lot of stuff about playing back previously-sampled audio
files, but I haven't found anything about making music or (especially)
generating raw tones.

For example, if I wanted to generate a tone of 200 hertz and a tone of 205
hertz on audio channels 0 and 1, respectively, for a duration of two seconds,
how might I accomplish this?  Pygame's sndarray module looks promising, but
seems a bit light on it's documentation, especially of a tutorial nature.

So: can anybody tell me a sure-fire way to generate tones from Python?  Bonus
points for sticking to packages that are in Debian unstable, or part of the
basic distribution.  And further, can anybody provide me pointers to more
generalized sound/music programming resources for Python, especially of a
tutorial nature?

Thanks!

    Joe