traditional tk inter problem

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Wed Jan 29 14:31:53 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 10:47:45AM -0800, Chris Lyon wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade my Mandrake 9.0 base installation of python
> (2.2.1) to 2.3a with which I hope to use PIL 1.1.3.
>
> I have downloaded the .tgz file and unzipped and untarred it,
> Run ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> every time I get as the last line a message to the effect that I
> cannot run idle without _tkinter.
>
> [snip]

  It sounds like _tkinter.so failed to build.  This could be for any number
of reasons.  One likely cause is that the Tcl and Tk header or library files
were not found where they were expected.  I have no idea where Mandrake puts
them, but often the header files are kept in a -separate- package from the
rest of the files, thus causing people to believe they have all the
necessary files installed when they really don't.  Check the build log for
Python to see what files, if any, were not found, then check your system to
see where, if at all, these files are installed.

> -------- From here on in I'm feeling sorry for myself but would
> appreciate a comment or two-----
>
> As someone trying to shed myself of my Windows background, I have
> managed to confirm my suspicions that I know far less than I thought I
> did, I am working entirely alone and have no friendly guru to consult
> ( except for lists like these ) but why is this so difficult? What
> extra facilities do you gain by having these installations so flexible
> as to require such intimate knowledge of the system? I've been at this
> two days and really feel I have made an decent attempt at solving this
> for myself. I haven't even tried going near PIL yet and all I really
> want to do it plot a graph in a webpage...
>
> ------ sulk over  -------

  You're installing an alpha distribution.  You're installing it from
source.  You're installing it onto a Linux distribution.  You're installing
it onto a Linux distribution for which the primary means of packaging is
-not- source.

  There are bound to be problems.

  Don't give up.  A lot more is learned from failure than from success :)
It's difficult because you've chosen a difficult path (others might
recommend that you wait until Mandrake packages 2.3, and then install from
that package), but you've made good progress so far.

  Jp

--
"Pascal is Pascal is Pascal is dog meat."
                -- M. Devine and P. Larson, Computer Science 340