Python Success Stories or Nightmares

Thanos Vassilakis tvassila at
Fri Jan 31 18:00:32 CET 2003

NYSE uses python since 1998 on the floor, for its main  internet services.

This is a very conservative enviroment where they won't  to use java in
production. Services MUST never go down, and Python has bought NYSE a lot!

                    grante at
                    (Grant Edwards)           To:     python-list at
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    python-list-admin@        Subject:     Re: Python Success Stories or Nightmares
                    01/31/2003 11:54

In article <mailman.1043967059.7713.python-list at>, Mongryong

> Let's hear people's success stories with Python and why they did the
> switch.

I didn't "switch" I just added Python to the toolbox.  The only
mail access where I work is through MS Outlook (no POP, no
IMAP).  I needed a way to suck e-mail out of Outlook.  I didn't
have a C compiler for MS (and don't particularly like C for app
development).  I found an article on useing Python to drive COM
interfaces under Win32.  A week later, I had a Python app that
transferred my e-mail from Outlook to the SMTP server on my
Unix box.

Since then I've written dozens of apps in Python ranging from a
dozen or two lines to a thousand or two lines.  Some are text
mode that decode test data.  Many are test programs that drive
serial ports. One is Tk app that's used for configurating a
Linux device driver (similar to something like RH's printtool).
Another uses wxWindows and is used to update the firmware in a
thin-server product (the updater runs on Windows or Linux).

Python is by far the most productive language I've tried.

And I've tried dozens.

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  BRILL CREAM is
                                  at               CREAM O' WHEAT in