December 2002 comp.lang.* stats

Erik Max Francis max at
Sun Jan 26 02:40:33 CET 2003

Skip Montanaro wrote:

> One might argue that more active discussion groups need more complex
> hierarchies to properly group the messages.

Sure, but quantifying that need with any artificial boosting that occurs
is not easy.

> Can you avoid the cross-post problem by simply counting unique
> message-ids?

Sure, although that wouldn't detect multiposts, although multiposts
_between_ language groups is probably not likely, though multiposts
between different subgroups of a hierarchy is probably moreso.

 Erik Max Francis / max at /
/  \ Walk a mile in my shoes / And you'd be crazy too
\__/ Tupac Shakur
    Crank Dot Net /
 Cranks, crackpots, kooks, & loons on the Net.