Difficulty using htmllib

Peter Abel p-abel at t-online.de
Sat Jan 18 16:13:37 EST 2003

joshua at goodish.org (Joshua Goodlett) wrote in message news:<e81e0f3d.0301180716.5b1aba2a at posting.google.com>...
> I've written a small web robot script to familiarize myself with both
> the htmllib and urllib modules but have been getting an error message
> when my HTMLParser subclass is fed.  I've included the relevant code,
> as well as the error message, below:
>
> ----- snip -----
>
> import htmllib
---should import urllib  # too

---------------------: (missing!)
>         htmllib.HTMLParser.reset(self)
>         self.url_list = []
>
>     def get_urls(self):
>         return self.url_list
>
> if __name__ == "__main__":
>
>     parser = URLExtractor()
>     hrefs = []
>
>     urllist = ['www.4SEINC.com',
>                'www.aw-comm.com',
>                'www.arwireless.net',
>                'www.turn-keywireless.com',
>                'www.acadianatowers.com',
>                'www.adamstower.com',
>                'www.advancedlightning.com',
>                'www.advtwoway.com',
>                'www.aerosolutionsllc.com',
>                'www.afcommsupply.com',
>                'www.alandick.com',
>                'www.allcomm.com',
>                'www.alliancecomm.com',
>                'www.alliedtower.com',
>                'www.allteccorp.com',
>                'www.alpha-telecom.com',
>                'www.alumaform.com',
>                'www.amchel.com',
>                'www.amertower.com',
>                'www.anchorguard.com',
>                'www.andrew.com',
>                'www.us.anritsu.com']
>
>     for url in urllist:
>         sock = urllib.urlopen('http://' + url)
>         data = sock.read()
>         sock.close()
>         parser.feed(data)
>         hrefs.extend(parser.get_urls())
>         parser.close()
>         parser.reset()
>
> ----- snip -----
>
> And now the error message...
>
> ----- snip -----
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "parsertest.py", line 55, in ?
>     parser.feed(data)
>   File "C:\Python22\lib\sgmllib.py", line 95, in feed
>     self.goahead(0)
>   File "C:\Python22\lib\sgmllib.py", line 161, in goahead
>     k = self.parse_declaration(i)
>   File "C:\Python22\lib\markupbase.py", line 66, in parse_declaration
>     decltype, j = self._scan_name(j, i)
>   File "C:\Python22\lib\markupbase.py", line 313, in _scan_name
>     self.error("expected name token")
>   File "C:\Python22\lib\sgmllib.py", line 102, in error
>     raise SGMLParseError(message)
> sgmllib.SGMLParseError: expected name token
> Press any key to continue . . .
>
> ----- snip -----
>
> Any suggestions or advice as to the cause of the error would be
> appreciated.  I'd suspected that the html source being fed to the
> parser is malformed, but this may be wrong.
>
> Cheers,
> Joshua Goodlett

A made some corrections to your code (see my remarks) to make
it runnable. But this doesn't solve the problem.
Printing the urls working on showed that the error occured in
'http://www.turn-keywireless.com'
Inspecting the html-code shows some xml-code embedded with an own
namespace.
Since this code seems to be embedded in html-comments
like <!-- , I'm not quite sure, if this causes the error
of unknown tokens, but it could.

Hope, I could help you 1 step further.
Peter