Overloading methods in C API

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jan 19 12:50:34 EST 2003

Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> writes:

> > On 18 Jan 2003 19:56:24 GMT, Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:
> > Otherwise, I have a tough time thinking of a language
> > that doesn't have operator "overloading"...
>
> BCPL, maybe. The only type it had was integer.

By the same line of argument: Tcl (atleast earlier versions). It had
only a single type (string), so you can't do overloading on the type.
Furthermore, Tcl does not have operators (only commands), so there
can't be any operator overloading :-)

Of course, the expr command would support both strings that represent
floats and strings that represent integers, but it is unclear whether
this isn't just promotion instead of overloading - the result would be
a string, in any case.

Regards,
Martin