migc.pyd please help me!

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net
Wed Jan 29 11:06:04 EST 2003

nightdriver <nightdriver at bolt.com> wrote:
> I repost because no one reply to me.

Ok, to prevent an endless chain of reposts ... ;-)

> Hi there,
> i am in search of a mingc.pyd for the latest windows release of phyton
> anybody can point me to url that contain this (or send it to me).
>
> Please help me i've searched to compile the module by myself but under
> windows compile with gcc/mingw32 is UGLY.

Don't you insult my mingw!!!1 In fact, this is quite easy if you RTFM for
distutils. No, you don't need to mess with the ming Makefiles *at all*.

And no, I won't just build a binary and send it to you, because that hasn't
much pedagogic value :-P

So here it goes:

Prerequisites: you've installed mingw toolchain and built the import library
for Python [1].

1) Download and unzip the ming [2] sources
2) cd into src/ and do a "make static"
3) copy the following distutils setup.py file into py_ext/

#----------------8<----------------------------------------------------
from distutils.core import setup
from distutils.extension import Extension

setup ( name = "ming",
        version = "0.2a",
        description = "A library for creating Shockwave files.",
        py_modules = ["ming"],
        ext_modules = [Extension( name='mingc',
                                  sources=['ming_wrap.c'],
                                  include_dirs=[".."],
                                  library_dirs=["../src"],
                                  libraries=["ming"]
                                  )]
        )
#----------------8<----------------------------------------------------

4) cd into py_ext/ and issue "python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32"

5) if you want to create an installer, issue "python setup.py bdist_wininst"

Now you have a Windows installer for the Python ming wrapper under dist. The
whole thing took me about five minutes, but I confess this isn't the first
setup.py I hacked.

But if you want to create a Python extension, crafting your own setup.py is
always easier than messing with Makefiles.

Anyways, in exchange, could you polish this setup.py a little (add copyright,
author, author_email and so on fields) and send a patch to the ming maintainer?
I myself can't be bothered any longer with this because I don't use ming and am
not at all interested in Shockwave, Flash and their likes.

building-ming-with-mingw-ly yours,

Gerhard

[1] http://www.python.org/doc/current/inst/non-ms-compilers.html
[2] http://ming.sf.net/