best college for computer science major

Charles Krug charles at pentek.com
Thu Jan 9 10:56:18 EST 2003

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 14:35:18 -0800, Chad Netzer
<cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 January 2003 14:07, Tupoi wrote:
>
>> ok to be more specific what are the best undergrad schools in the US for a
>> Computer Science major in general because most undergrads like me probbably
>> have not decided whether they will be computer programmers, network guys,
>> or whatever else.

Where does the OP live?

For undergrad work, it's less important, than say, for example, you
wanted to do your dissertation in Communications working with Stallings
or in Algorithms working with Skiena, AI at MIT, or classified
cryptography at the NSA.

Every State University system has at LEAST one good technical school and
at least one good "pure science" school, and sometimes several.

At the undergrad level, my opinion is that you should get as broad a
background as possible in the field.  You might think NOW that you want
to do network administration, but may later decide that you hate having
a surgically implanted beeper and would rather sling code.  Or you may
decide "To Heck with Cisco, let me sling code NOW."

Very few people have any more than a vague idea of what they'd be happy
doing at the age of 17.