Broken debian python

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net
Fri Jan 31 07:42:26 EST 2003

Egbert Bouwman <egbert.list at hccnet.nl> wrote:
> In debian, when you refer to python, you are actually talking
> about debian's default python version, 2.1
>
> I have removed python, and installed python2.2, being 2.2.1-6
>
> I try to install wxpython:
>     apt-get install libwxgtk2.4-python
>
> That results in an error:
>
> Sorry but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>     libwxgtk2.4-python: Depends: python (>= 2.2)
> E: Sorry, broken packages

Which flavour of Debian are you actually using? woody? testing? unstable? Or
any combination thereof?

If you're willing to use a testing/unstable system, you should be able to
install libwxgtk2.4-python. There's some configuration work to do, however:

#v+
opuslx5:~# cat /etc/apt/preferences
Explanation: see http://www.argon.org/~roderick/apt-pinning.html
Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=stable
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 400

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 300

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: -1
#v-

Ok, after also putting the source lines for testing and unstable in
/etc/apt/sources.list and doing an "apt-get update", you could try:

#v+
opuslx5:~# apt-get install -t unstable libwxgtk2.4-python
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  blt gcc-3.2-base idle idle-python2.2 libc6 libc6-dev libdb1-compat libdb4.0
  libgcc1 libncurses5 libncurses5-dev libpng12-0 libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2
  libstdc++5 libwxgtk2.4 moin python python-tal python2.1 python2.1-tk
  python2.2 python2.2-tal python2.2-tk tcl8.4 tix8.1 tk8.4
  gcc-3.2-base idle-python2.2 libdb1-compat libdb4.0 libgcc1 libpng12-0
  libstdc++5 libwxgtk2.4 libwxgtk2.4-python python2.2-tal python2.2-tk tcl8.4
  tix8.1 tk8.4
13 packages upgraded, 14 newly installed, 0 to remove and 146  not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 20.1MB of archives. After unpacking 27.0MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
#v-

As you see, this would update *a lot* of packages. At home, I do have a
testing/unstable system with the same /etc/apt/preferences. But I currently
don't want to make that experiment on this particular Oracle database server
;-)

Another way is to grab the unstable wxgtk sources (apt-get source -t unstable
libwxgtk2.4-python) and try to compile it on your stable or testing system
using dpkg-buildpackage (apt-get install dpkg-dev first :-), but I haven't
tried that.

Gerhard
--
Gerhard Häring