Coding standard: Prefixing variables to indicate datatype

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jan 16 23:13:49 EST 2003

David LeBlanc wrote:

> Peter Hansen wrote:
> > It's "Simonyi", and although I've found many web pages expressing
> > a dislike of the notation, I haven't been able to find any references
> > to Simonyi himself expressing any regret.  Can you point me to one?
>
> I wish I could - apparently, Mr Simonyi bought himself a trout stream down
> in Oregon after leaving Monopoly$oft and there was an interview with him
> there and, IIRC, he made the comment during that interview. I don't recall
> where I read it though alas.

Bummer... I would have liked the ammunition to put this silly
(or at least obsolete) idea to rest once and for all.

I did find an interview with Simonyi here:

(Warning!  *Nasty* pop-ups on this site using IE.  Take care.)

  http://shamit.virtualave.net/charles_simonyi.htm

but unfortunately it isn't dated, and I find no mention of him disliking
the notation.  Hopefully someone can dig up the right one.

-Peter