references / aliases in Python

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Jan 15 11:27:29 EST 2003

jbperez808 at yahoo.com (Jonathan P.) writes:

> But the idea of references did get through because I was
> trying to do something similar.  I was wondering if there
> was a way to get true references in Python ala below:
[schnipp]

Not really.

> Is there a way to get aliases without having to add a pointer
> type + referencing / dereferencing operators to Python?  What
> exactly is the Python philosophy regarding pointer types and
> referencing / dereferencing?

Have you read this:

    http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/hacks/objectthink.html

?  It doesn't exactly answer your question, but after you've read it
you might not be able to remember why you asked :)

Cheers,
M.

--
  We did requirements and task analysis, iterative design, and user
  testing. You'd almost think programming languages were an interface