Please Recommend a C compiler for use with Python.

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jan 27 13:45:37 EST 2003

Irmen de Jong <irmen at NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl> writes:

> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> > If the standard Python distribution is to be extended, you really
> > should use MSVC 6 (if you can still get copies of that).
>
> Just for my information, does Python compile with VC++ 7
> (the C++ compiler from VStudio .NET) ?

Python 2.3 will, AFAIK. For Python 2.2, there were some issues
(e.g. header files that Microsoft removed from the compiler); I'm
unsure whether they were resolved before 2.2.2. In addition, VC++
loses some essential options when converting the project files. For
2.3, this problem has also been fixed (by not using those options
anymore). Again, I don't know whether this was solved for 2.2.

Regards,
Martin