Coding standard: Prefixing variables to indicate datatype

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Jan 17 23:05:07 EST 2003

Terry Reedy wrote:

> Once you actually think about it, its obvious that attaching the join
> method to the joiner is the only sensible place to put it.
>
> "Carpenter, exercise your ability to joins these pieces of wood."

Agreed.  It may look weird at first, but it doesn't take long to realize
as a method, that's the only place it can logically go.  After all, the
alternative is having a join method be part of _every single sequence
interface_, which is clearly heavy-handed.

Furthermore, it's inherently a string-based operation, therefore the
method should go on the string.  I personally find ','.join(S) extremely
inuitive and readable.

/  \ Life is a zoo in a jungle.
\__/ Peter de Vries
    Crank Dot Net / http://www.crank.net/
 Cranks, crackpots, kooks, & loons on the Net.