IDLE Python GUI

David M. Cook davecook at nowhere.net
Sun Jan 26 02:23:40 EST 2003

In article <3e32ce04_4 at corp.newsgroups.com>, Norm wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies.  I must say this.  Being relatively new to UNIX
> / Linux I find that I use pico as my main editor - why?  Emacs confuses the
> heck out of me.  Geez louise that program is like an o/s all on it's own.

I started out with pico but eventually outgrew it and moved to JED for
routine editing tasks.  JED is lightweight and has a pretty good Python
mode, though its syntax coloring algorithm gets confused by a single quote
inside triple quotes.  Also, if you use it in a gnome-terminal on a recent
Linux distro with GNOME 2 you get anti-aliasing for free.  Fonts look really
nice.

However, I use XEmacs for Python hacking because of the excellent Python
mode, version control support, recent files menu, etc.  I just wish it
supported XFS (and thus anti-aliasing).

If you stick with idle, you probably want to check out idlefork and IDE
Studio.

http://idlefork.sourceforge.net/
http://starship.python.net/crew/mike/Tide/idledev/IDEStudio.html

Dave Cook