Functional Programming: WAS: Too Self Centered

Christopher A. Craig list-python at
Wed Jan 8 16:58:30 CET 2003

beno <zope at> writes:

> Hmmm. I'm really sold on the philosophical merits of *Functional
> Programming*.  But I appreciate any feedback you have concerning
> optimization here. I need to stick with Python because I'm addicted
> to Zope ;)

I'd recommend you get over that.  Functional programming is nice for
some things, but functional languages have optimizers that optimize
it's main problems away.  Python doesn't.

Functional programming can create a huge stack and instantiates lots
of namespaces.  Python does neither of these efficiently.

Christopher A. Craig <list-python at>
"You could shoot Microsoft Office off the planet and this country would
 run better. You would see everyone standing around saying, 'I've got
 so much time now.' "  Scott McNealy (CEO of Sun)