Newbe: password program

andy andy at eastonwest.co.uk
Sat Jan 18 15:15:38 EST 2003

pavs,

Python really is cool, isn't it.  Keep playing with it, the rewards are
immense!

Some thoughts.

In your while loop, the statement

    print "Wrong Password"

will always be executed the first time.  If that's not what you want, you
could solve it one of several ways:

1) Preload the password variable with raw_input()

count=0
password=raw_input("Password:")
while password != "unicorn":
    print "Wrong Password"
    password=raw_input("Re-enter password")
    count+=1

2) Check that the password is not the default, within the loop

count=0
password="default"
while password != "unicorn":
    if password <> "default":
        print "Wrong Password"
    password=raw_input("Password")
    count+=1

3) Control the loop with a flag

count=0
gotit=0
while not gotit:
    password = raw_input("Password:")
    if password == "unicorn":
        gotit=1
    else:
        print "Wrong password"
        count+=1

I'm sure some of the guru's could code it differently too... remember, there's
more than one way to, er, skin a python!

-andyj