Why doesn't JUMP_IF_FALSE do POP_TOP ?

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Mon Jan 13 12:30:01 EST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 05:04:30PM +0000, Bengt Richter wrote:
> Has anyone taken a measure of exactly how "minor" it really would be?

I know this has been written long ago.  A person did a dynamic analysis
of instruction pair frequency, added them as separate VM instructions,
and benchmarked the result for performance improvement.

I can't find the paper now.  Maybe the paper I described hasn't been
written, and this is the one I was thinking of:
http://www.foretec.com/python/workshops/1998-11/proceedings/papers/aycock-211/aycock211.html

Jeff