problems installing python 2.2.2 on solaris 8

Holden Caulfield phoebe_1 at
Thu Jan 9 21:19:40 CET 2003

"John Bernhardt" <alaxsxaq at> wrote in message news:<pan.2003. at>...
> I'm trying to get Python 2.2.2 installed on a solaris 8 SPARC system
> and have run into a problem that I need some help resolving.  On this
> system, I can successfully compile Python and the compiled version
> passes all of the tests run by 'make test'.  However, when I do a
> make install, there are quite a few modules that do not get copied
> into /usr/local/lib/python2.2 including the socket and time modules;
> more I'm sure, but my scripts fail on loading smtplib because those
> two modules are not installed.
> Any clues?

I had the same problem. For some reason, the dynamic modules permissions are
not changed when installing (at least that was my problem).
check the lib-dynload subdirectory and make sure that the permissions of the
".so" files are 644, in my case they were 600, which caused the failure to