Python web development, really

Afanasiy abelikov72 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 21 01:41:26 EST 2003

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:58:41 +1100, Richard Jones wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 4:16 am, Afanasiy wrote:

>> * Be as fast or faster than Apache+PHP
>
>Not much is going to be faster than Apache+PHP. Python can certainly reach the
>same or similar speeds though.

In my commandline scripting tests, Python always beats PHP...
What would stop a new Apache+Python integration project from being faster?

>> * Use a similar amount of memory
>>   (ie. not Java/.NET related)
>
>This is pretty open-ended. Suffice to say though that Python doesn't consume
>wads of memory on its own. The rest is up to your application.

I primarily meant to exclude suggestions which would involve
anything using noticeably large amounts of memory, such as Java.

>> * Provide a fairly equivalent framework w/ sessions, cookies, get, post
>>   (Described in http://www.boddie.org.uk/python/web_frameworks.html)
>>   (eg. I should not have to write code to parse query strings, etc.)
>>   (PHP is somewhat unique in the ways it can bring in post variables)
>
>I'm confused. A number of the frameworks on the page you link there support
>all of the above. Are you stating that this is a requirement that isn't met
>(which it clearly is) or that it _is_ met?

It is explicitly documented as one of many requirements. This is perhaps
the most basic requirement, but there are certainly solutions which do not
implement the basics of a web framework. However, yes, many do.

>> * Big plus, but optional, auto prepend/append files
>>   (eg. Apache+PHP has .htaccess directives like this )
>>   (    php_value auto_prepend_file "_header.php"     )
>>   (    php_value auto_append_file "_footer.php"      )
>>   (granular down to the directory
>
>That would be dependent on the framework you chose, but they would all support
>some version of this.

Not from what I have seen. I even imagine implicit vs. explicit would
cause many Python programmers to love writing cascading header/footer
includes and custom error handling on every new page, even if via paste.

>> * Finally, very optional plus, global application scoped variables
>>   (PHP does NOT allow this, but I know why)
>>   (I do not want to hear why you think this is bad)
>>   (I know why it is good, I know why it can be bad)
>
>Most of the frameworks will support this in some manner. If they don't, then

I don't think they do, and you sound unsure.

Which platform do you recommend I test for all of these requirements?
Many tested so far fail relatively easily. I am looking for concrete
suggestions from people experienced in this sort of web development.