Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Jan 29 06:35:22 EST 2003

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Yes, the language really DOES matter -- although it's not the ONLY
> thing that matters, of course, not by a long shot.  Analogy...:

I think you're taking the original poster's comments too far.  The point
is, it's possible to write lousy code in _any_ language, regardless of
how well-thought of it is or thought to be conducive to writing good
code.

There are certainly some languages that promote bad habits right up
front.  Python isn't one of them.  Sure, the choice of language does
play a part, but that doesn't mean that just because you're programming
in Python, that you're writing clean and clear code, anymore than _just
because_ you're writing code in "a language that's traditionally
associated with bad habits" (I won't bother listing any here), that it's
necessarily bad.

> Again, this is like saying that shoes only run as fast as the
> people who wear them.  True, but it DOESN'T follow, by any means,
> that choosing the most appropriate kind of shoes isn't important.

But that's not what he said.  He simply said that even good tools, in
the wrong hands, can be used poorly.  You're taking the analogy to a
completely different level that he certainly never intended.  Bad tools
can be used deftly by competent people.  Even the best tools can be used
poorly by incompetent people.

I think your point is well-taken, but you're polarizing an argument far
beyond what was originally stated.

/  \ The color is red / Under my shoe
\__/ Neneh Cherry
    CatCam / http://www.catcam.com/
 What do your pets do all day while you're at work?  Find out.