thread and linuxaudio

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Fri Jan 31 11:10:50 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 11:58:04AM +0100, Attila Szabo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is linuxaudiodev thread-safe ?
>
> I'm working on a curses interface for postgres and
> I have some multi-thread stuff for example a progress bar.
> It would be a good joke to play music while the query is running
> but it does'nt work.

  If only one of your threads is making calls in linuxaudiodev, there
shouldn't be a problem.

  linuxaudiodev.c doesn't seem to have any BEGIN/END_ALLOW_THREADS blocks,
it might be safe to use from different threads simultaniously (though what
happens as a result probably depends on your sound driver).  I wouldn't
recommend doing this.

  Jp

--
C/C++/Java/Perl/Python/Smalltalk/PHP/ASP/XML/Linux (User+Admin)
Genetic Algorithms/Genetic Programming/Neural Networks