Database newbie - Sound Software Engineering practice for DB

Mongryong Mongryong at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 21 21:43:45 EST 2003

You should learn how to design good DBs by hand first if you haven't
done so already.  The two main concepts you'll want to learn about is
'normalization' and 'denormalization'. You should become familiar with
terms like 'primary' and 'foreign' keys.

Once you have a good handle on designing DBs by hand, it should be easy
to translate your design into SQL statements.

Now, it's just a matter of learning the API and applying good
programming design patterns.  The latter part is a huge subject on its
own.  A concept you might want to learn about is 'connection pooling'.

Most of this information, if not all, should be on the web.  Or, you can
do what I did and pick a book on MySQL.  Most books should cover DB
design (by hand), SQL, APIs, and design approaches.

Good luck!