Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

Brandon Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Thu Jan 30 03:52:41 EST 2003

John Ochiltree wrote:

> Why do you bother to use c++ as you obviously don't care about reuse.
> Patterns these days are essential to OO

You need to realize that there can be OO and reuse without the "Patterns"
appearing in books like "Design Patterns."  That book has absolutely nothing
of use to me on a day-to-day basis.

If you want to say that I use "mathematical patterns," fine.  But I choose
to avoid the term "pattern" because it already has a common meaning to OO
people.  And personally, I don't think there would be much point listing out
a whole pile of common "mathematical patterns."  There are so many of them!
Math has an interesting property: there are lotsa ways to compute the same
thing.  No point wrapping it up in the One True Pattern, you just have to
know how to do math.

Quite simply, we had functions and methods and classes and OO long before we
had patterns.

20% of the world is real.