Browser front-end, python back-end

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Jan 28 19:44:20 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 11:22, Eric Mattes wrote:
> I'd like to know if anyone knows a way to write a python program that
> can be interfaced with through a web browser. I've been investigating
> some GUIs and although I've written a prototype GUI in Tkinter, it
> lacks personality. I'd like to make a nice GUI using HTML. Has anyone
> done anything like this before? If so, how? Would it involve
> embedding/using BaseHTTPServer? Ideally this would run on both Windows
> and Mac OS.

Webware (webware.sf.net) has an embedded HTTP server (based on
BaseHTTPServer).  It's not well advertised at all, which is why I'd need
to point it out for anyone to notice it.

Webware, while not nearly as small as BaseHTTPServer, still has a fairly
small core (especially if you were to trim out stuff you aren't using).
It should be small enough to run on a client application.

--
Ian Bicking           Colorstudy Web Development
ianb at colorstudy.com   http://www.colorstudy.com