Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

John Ochiltree johnochiltree at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 29 05:45:07 EST 2003

Brandon Van Every wrote:

> John Ochiltree wrote:
>> I find that if I'm working in python I concentrate more on solutions
>> to problems, whereas with c++ I tend to concentrate more on structure
>> and architecture. However, that's not to say that my thinking is any
>> more abstract in either language.
>>
>> I wonder if there's a way of measuring what language encourages which
>> way of thinking?
>
> Maybe instead you should be thinking about what your task is.  There's
> nothing wrong with thinking structurally and architecturally if those
> indeed are your problems.
>
> Python is a "glue" language, so I think you're implying that your problems
> are more typically of a freeform nature.  If you're really saying "no no,
> I do structural/architectural stuff in both, and I love Python syntax and
> hate C++ syntax!" well, all I can say is the C++ works just fine when you
> Keep It
> Simple Stupid and use it all the time.  I would like a few more editor
> features for my function declarations, which seem a bit verbose, but it
> hasn't been painful enough for me to go through the alternate pain of
> editor evaluation.
>
> --
> Cheers,                         www.3DProgrammer.com
> Brandon Van Every               Seattle, WA
>
> 20% of the world is real.
> 80% is gobbledygook we make up inside our own heads.
I think you misunderstand me. First of all, surely, for all of us our 'task'
is to supply computer solutions to problems no matter what languages we
principally work with.
The obvious difference between C++ and python is surface complexity. Python
allows you to 'see' the solution a lot faster; C++ - you have to mentally
filter out all the gumph that is not to do with the solution. For instance,
if I apply a pattern (an architectural feature) in either language I can
see how the pattern supports the solution faster and easier with Python
than I can with C++. I tend to use python to prototype and explore possible
solutions but if I need optimisation I do a thorough up front design based
on the prototype but using C++.
BTW, I use 'unittest' and 'cppunit' profusely no matter what language I'm
using. I use XEmacs as my editor and QDesigner for GUI building as I can
get it to generate C++ or Python.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a 'glue' language. I've yet to
come across a problem I couldn't solve with either language!

Regards
John Ochiltree