Python use growing or shrinking

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jan 21 18:06:24 EST 2003

Greg Brunet wrote:

> Just as a point of information, I was reading this article about Java
> and the recent ruling that MS must include it in Windows & .NET
> (http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/01/21/java/print.html). It
> had a link to this site (http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm) which ranks
> Python as a "B" status language with declining popularity.
>
> There's only a general discussion of their methodology, and I'm not
> arguing that one should choose a language solely because of it's
> popularity or rate of increase/decrease (and what's up with RPG having
> the second fastest growth rate!?!).

My guess is that "RPG" is rated the second fastest growing "language"
because that acronym stands for "Role Playing Game" ....

Notice that a search for "RPG programming" has a gaming link as
the first hit (although to be fair the next four or five are all
about the real RPG language.

Besides, if they search for "Python programming language" at this
point, they will probably get no hits at all.  After all, didn't we
all remove the words "programming language" from all our Python
pages as a result of the recent revelation that the language is
not Turing-Complete (since it can't handle infinite memory)....
<wink>.

-Peter