String methods understanding anything but ASCII?

Michael Hudson mwh at
Tue Jan 21 11:48:42 CET 2003

mlh at (Magnus Lie Hetland) writes:

> (u'ø', though, uses 'iso8859-1', since that is what my c library
> uses, I suppose.)

Err, I *think* that's because unicode code points are a superset of
iso-8859-1 code points.

Python 2.3 will allow you to specify which encoding a source file's
unicode strings are in (and complain at you if you use non-ASCII
characters without explication), but I don't know what the interactive
interpreter does.

     ARTHUR:  Why are there three of you?
  LINTILLAS:  Why is there only one of you?
     ARTHUR:  Er... Could I have notice of that question?